Tuesday 5 May 2015

Cool Links- Black Education UK

 
It's been a number of years since I left school but I still remember my first and only Black/African History lesson in my 2nd year of secondary school/High school.
Our teacher put on a copy of 'Roots(1977)' (VHS), left the room and came back at the end of class. I don't remember her saying a word when she came back to class.
There was no discussion or anything...I barley remember our teachers making any reference to Black/African history throughout my 3years in History classes and this was one of the reasons I didn't choose history for a GCSE.
European history was interesting but I would have liked to learn about my own history and culture from a younger age.
 
Teaching Black education in schools is so important to inspire, build love of self, knowledge of self, cultural awareness and to instill a strong sense of pride within the Black/African community, especially those in western societies where there are little to no links of our culture or history outside of slavery.
 
Today, there are more classes, seminars, workshops etc but there is still so much more which can be done..
Thankfully we have some great links...check them out!
 
The London Schools and the Black Child (LSBC) initiative was founded by Diane Abbott MP. It is aimed at raising achievement levels of Black pupils in London, but also nationwide.
 
Companies like the 'Black History Studies' are paving the way and providing workshops, film screenings and so much more.
 
 
 
There are many more so get searching and sharing.
 
Stay Beautiful, Stay blessed!
 
Shay x
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment