Friday 17 January 2014

Books: Queen Afua, Steve Harvey & Iyanla Vanzant

This is one of my favourite books for women.
I was given a copy of this book by someone I consider to be a -woman-tor (a woman mentor).
I love this book.

It's so simple to follow the advice and there's a great deal of useful knowledge to living a healthier lifestyle and taking care of you womb. Queen Afua talks about how special the femal form is and how sacred the womb is. 
This book teaches love and respect for yourself, our ancestors and knowledge of black history and culture. 
It's one of those books you will always come back to while on your spiritual or personal journey.
A guide to a healthy body, mind and spirit....9/10



As one of my favourite comedians, I had to get this book. I found it a lot of fun. It reinforced things I was lucky enough to learn and experience growing up with very strong female role models.

I did find the chapter about Men quite interesting, some of it really helped me to better understand my male friends and also helped to understand those men who are no longer in my life. 
All the way through this book, I could hear Steve Harvey's voice which made me laugh so much.

Steve's words also rang true about some of this topics he raised about women. This made me laugh too as I could relate to at least two of the characters from the film (Think like a man ,2012).

I gave this book as a gift to a friend who, in her own words, had "dumb-girl syndrome". This was where she temporarily lost her sense when it came to a good looking man and acted a fool.
She loved the idea of the book but was quite upset by some of the brutal honesty about how women can be to blame for their own misery in their relationships or as single women.

I have no doubt in mind that Steve Harvey knew that some women would resist his ideas but deep down I think those who have read this book or seen the film are secretly grateful to Steve for his honest account of love and relationships.
This book also teaches self love and self respect but also patience and understanding of the sexes.
 The film was funny too. 8/10


Iyanla Vanzant is one of my favourite authors of all time.
This was the first book I ever read by Iyanla and I was so grateful for it.
This book is about living through 'meantimes' these could be relationships, circumstances or situations.
It talks about cleaning house, which I think is a metaphor for mental clarity and peace.

This book teaches you to get into the nooks and crannies of those dark places you don't want to clean but you know you have to. It's a gentle guide to spring cleaning your life to get to where you really want to be and who you really want to be.

Although there is focus on relationships throughout, it's also about learning to love yourself enough to know the 'meantime' is temporary and that you will be just fine, once you clean house.

Iyanla writes in a way where you feel as though she is talking directly to you, she's relatable and brutally honest about her past and how she's come to where she is today which is also very helpful and inspirational.
10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment