Saturday 19 April 2014

Food Review: Satay Bar, Brixton

So after a long day of walking around at ‘The Black Market and Film Festival’, its only natural that one; or three rather, would work up quite an appetite. Looking for somewhere that was close by to our current location, we decided on Satay Bar in Brixton.I for one have always seen this place in passing, and heard about it through a few people I know, that have been. 

A self proclaimed ‘Authentic Indonesian and Malaysian Restaurant', which sits rather unassumingly in a prime location at the side of the Ritzy Cinema on Coldharbour Lane.We were greeted by dark wooden furniture and walls which gave an Oriental feel. To the right of the entrance, there was a seated area where visitors can enjoy a drink if they like, either after dinner or as their sole purpose for visiting the bar. Outside there is a sheltered outdoor seating area, which we used, to enjoy our after dinner cocktails later.

We arrived after 4 O’clock so their lunch special was still on. This meant that any main course priced from £5.50 (including stir-fry’s, currys and satay classics) would come with steamed white rice. Looking through the menu, I already had an idea of what I was getting for starters. As I am a meat eater/lover, I decided to go with the signature and name sake dish Chicken ‘n’ Peanut Satay; 


While Miss K and Shay chose Veggie Spring Rolls which I also got to taste but, K “ain’t want none” of mine and Shay as I’ve mentioned before, is a pescetarian;

Ah welp, more chicken for me :-)

For our main courses, I went for Chinese style Low ‘n’ Slow Beef Ribs which was served in a home-made sweet soya sauce. Miss K chose Chinese Crispy Seabass, which was served whole with wok-fried Asian vegetables, mushrooms and sweet basil, while Shay decided on the Malaysian Style Crispy Snapper, again served as a whole topped with sweet peppers, ginger, garlic and chillies;


Shay also got some roti flatbread, which came with a dipping sauce she thinks is Thai, sometimes called ‘Chu Chee Pla’;


We all did switcheroos of our meals, and as usual, Shay tasted what she could of my Low ‘n’ Slow ribs (the sauce). Every meal from starter to main was delicious, but I will say that the plain rice was a bit too plain, even though it came in a nice dome shape with little black sesame seeds on top. We did however use all of the different sauces, and once I squeezed Shay’s lime to jazz that baby up, we were good to go!

After finishing our food and suffering from ‘ethnic fatigue’ we decided to have a few cocktails to take outside, as it was Happy Hour (a good selection of their cocktails £5 each). I went for 2 Prosecco based cocktails; ‘Strawberry Bellini’ and ‘ManGoes Into A Bar’ while K and Shay each had a ‘Pink Paradise’;


Personally I wish I left out the bubbles for something fruitier, but they were good all the same.

All in all I'd say my first experience at Satay Bar was a nice one. The food was delicious, the waiter was funny and the prices weren't too steep. I will definitely be back in the summer months to enjoy more of the lovely food, and to make the most of the happy hour and outdoor terrace.

Thanks for having us Satay Bar, I know it must have been an event for you too...We’ll be back!

Ratings:
Food: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Décor: 6/10

Visit Satay Bare Here:
Address: 447 Coldharbour Lane, London SW9 8LP
Tel: 0844 474 6080

From Micky With Love

x

No comments:

Post a Comment