Sunday 27 July 2014

Event Review: I Loved The Box! (Lovebox Festival)

(Better late than never!)

On Friday 18th of July, I had my first ever festival experience in the shape of Lovebox Festival. Not only was it was a welcome day off work but the weather was hot...31° to be exact.

Through a tipsy and very comical tube ride, walking up to Victoria Park, (dressed in full typical festival regalia) my friend and I were already excited at the day to come and couldn't wait to get inside. 

We had V.I.P tickets so, we had to walk across the park to the V.I.P area next to the stage, before stopping off at the first bar we saw to get a pear cider. Once we got inside, we were greeted with slightly cleaner porta potty's and a sheltered space decorated in Indian cloth with beds, cushions and places to kick your feet up (for me this is the only thing worth having V.I.P tickets for, as when you get a bit tired you need somewhere to chill comfortably.)
.
After checking out the V.I.P area we walked around, taking in the many sights which included people doing balloons, a bungee jump ride, food stalls and music coming from all areas/stages. We got the chance to see Etta Bond perform and MNEK who I love. One of his backing singers sings the vocals in that song "Need You (100%)". (I have precious memories to that song, so I loved that haha!)

After seeing those guys perform we were excited to see the David Rodigan, aka the biggest white man in Reggae music to my knowledge. We just wanted to witness him playing wicked Reggae music whilst dancing semi-rhythmlessly and randomly shouting out 'bo' in the tunes. He was good tho but, did I mention it was 31°? While watching David we were squashed up at the front with the sun beating down on our neck backs, drinking litres of water and nearly getting into a fight, all while still dancing. After this we decided to go back and chill in the V.I.P spot for a bit and there was a moment where we both sat down on a bench and looked each other in the eyes and burst out laughing. We were both thinking the same thing; "I'm getting too old for this, I could just go home now". Though, I don't think we were actually too old it's just that the sun that we'd been in for six hours in no shade had run us ragged.

We decided that we would call it a day soon but not before I saw my baby Kano walking around in the V.I.P with his family and friends. I didn't go over to him because he was having downtime and enjoying hiself, and it's not like he was performing. (Or so I thought until I found out that he performed with Chase & Status after We left). On our way out we decided to give A$AP Rocky a miss and try to find one of the biggest UK garage DJs; DJ EZ but we couldn't and were half past dead by that point. 

Overall the Lovebox Festival was a fun experience and we have vowed to go back next year but later on in the day so that we get to see more of the popular artists and if it's a hot day, then we won't fry before half the day is done...I'm also still sporting ankle tans from wearing hi-top converse!

A few tips I would give to fellow Festival Virgins like myself is:

1) If it's sunny, drink plenty of water and less alcohol 

2) Bring a pack of tissue to use in the porta potty

3) Buy a program!!! Even if prices are extortionate that you have to chip in. You really need one as the festival doesn't have an app and it will prevent you from missing the action you really want to see like we did.

That said, I can't wait to go to more festivals next year!

From Micky with Love

X

No comments:

Post a Comment