Friday 30 May 2014

Music Review: Mariah Carey - 'Me I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse'


Named after Mariah's first and only self portrait drawn at 3 and a half years old, this album seems to have a recurring theme…and that’s nostalgia hunni!

Opening the album is the track ‘Cry.’ A beautiful stripped back ballad showcasing Mariah’s vocal range and proving that she’s still got it; setting the tone for what’s to come vocally as the album continues with songs seemingly influenced by music of the past all the way to the present.

For example, ‘Dedicated’, a track with Nas who fits in very well, is an ode to the old days of Hip-Hop, as the both of them reminisce about the good ol’ days of the genre. Production from Mike Will Made It and Hit-Boy sees Mariah bring the current day Hip Hop flava that makes me feel slightly ‘Gangsta’ for a few minutes, I can’t lie.

I noticed that all of the tracks with features have explicit content which isn’t usual of Mariah but, anyone who follows Mariah will know she is a genuine Hip Hop head and maybe she thought it was time to throw caution to the wind and let the rappers do what it do. I’m not sure it was needed though.  

Other notable songs are ‘You Don’t Know What To Do’ featuring Wale, which reminds me of Chaka’s ‘I’m Every Woman’ as it borrows from Jocelyn Brown’s ‘I'm Caught Up (In a One Night Love Affair)’, and ‘Meteorite’. Both tracks make me feel like I should be in a 1978 skating rink in a bikini top, go-go shorts and spandex!

Then there’s the amazingly CUTE track ‘Supernatural’ with DemBabies making their recording debut. They sound like such funny characters but Ms. Monroe definitely takes on a more prominent role. You can tell she is ever the little diva in training, and you can absolutely feel the love pouring from this song.

Following the staple inspirational track ‘Heavenly (No Ways Tired/Can't Give Up Now)’ to end the album like she always does, there’s the deluxe section, which features duets with Mary J Blige and R. Kelly, on ‘It’s A Wrap’ and ‘Betcha Gon’ Know’ respectively. Both are remixes of original songs taken from the ‘Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel’ album and though I liked both original songs, the Mariah and Mary collaboration has been a long time coming, BUT R. Kelly is NOT needed and should have been left on the cutting room floor, along with the last song ‘The Art Of Letting Go’. Although the vocals are on point, I still can’t get completely into this song for some reason. For the latter, K wants to revoke my Lamb Pass and send me to the chopping block!

Overall, I can say that this album was worth the wait, and I’m glad Mariah took an extra year to produce an album that was not only a quality piece of work but, true to her, whilst remembering the peaks and valleys of what made her who she is today. It seems like Mariah was feeling even more comfortable and confident in being who she wants to be on a record. The only criticisim I have is the tracklisting order. It feels like I’m spinning down a timeline of musical genres with a few curve balls thrown in along the way for good measure. That said, with Mariah Carey being Mariah Carey, I know there was a reason behind it. If someone can figure it out, or Mariah if youre reading this, PLEASE fill me in!


Tracklising & My First Thoughts

1.    Cry: Beautiful, Classic, Strong Vocals & Range
2.    Faded: Makes me feel slightly Gangsta
3.    Dedicated (feat. Nas): Dedication to the good ol’ old days of Hip-Hop, Reminiscing
4.    #Beautiful (feat. Miguel): Phil Spector, Makes me want to shimmy and ‘Shoop Doo Wop Bop’
5.    Thirsty: Another Gangsta Mimi Moment
6.    Make It Look Good (feat. The Incomparable Uncle Stevie Wonder on Harmonica): O’jays Let Me Make Love To You
7.    You're Mine (Eternal): Makes me tear up each time, though not one of the strongest tracks is very emotion evoking
8.    You Don’t Know What to Do (feat. Wale): Up-tempo disco, Jocelyn Brown ‘I'm Caught Up (In a One Night Love Affair)’ and ’Somebody elses guy’,  Skating rink
9.    Supernatural (feat. DemBabies): Unconditional Love, Adorable, Diva and Divo in training
10.  Meteorite: Sylvester ‘ You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real), Skating rink
11.  Camouflage: Perfect  Vocal,  A+mazing Background Vocalists, Lyrics
12.  Money ($ * / ...) feat. Fabolous: Extravagance, Chefs with Hollandaise???
13.  One More Try: Can’t get into it
14.  Heavenly (No Ways Tired / Can't Give Up Now): Inspirational
15.  It's a Wrap (feat. Mary J. Blige): LONG Time Coming
16.  Betcha Gon' Know (feat. R. Kelly): NEXT
17.  The Art Of Letting Go: I still can’t get into this song!!!!


From Micky With Love


x

No comments:

Post a Comment