Thursday 29 May 2014

Remembering: Maya Angelou

Just as I was counting down the last 30 minutes of work yesterday, my work colleague checked her Facebook only to find out that Auntie Maya Angelou had collected her wings.

Not even 2 minutes prior had I reminded Micky that she needed to gather some of her favourite Maya Angelou quotes together so that I could post them on the blog, as I had asked her weeks prior but she didn't have the time to deliver. 

As little Black girls growing up, knowing the story of Maya Angelou, whether through reading I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings or watching the movie of the same name, was something that was just second nature. Then, the older we became and the more we familiarized ourselves with her works, it was as if she were our third Grandmother or even a Great Aunt, due to the endless pearls of wisdom she so unselfishly shared.

Regardless of all of her titles; Author, Poet, Activist, Orator, Singer, Actress & Dancer, I would say the most important one is Teacher. With her most valuable lesson for the world being; aside from our actions our words are the most powerful tools we have with a duty to always use them responsibly.

A Shero to all women and one of the last true Gate Keepers of Our community, may you Rest In Paradise Miss Maya Angelou!

No comments:

Post a Comment