Saturday 11 October 2014

Food Review: Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.

This week I had the joy of going to the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Now if anybody is a fan of the fictional film 'Forrest Gump', you will know that in the film there was talk about such an eatery by one of the main characters, Forrest's best friend Bubba, who didn't make it to the end of the film. As a result, Forrest bought a shrimping boat as he promised 'his best good friend' Bubba he would, and was later able to start the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Fast forward a couple of years and into reality, and there are several Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.'s in America and a few other places around the world, but here in London's Leicester Square, the first one in the country, opened on October 1st. To say I love the film 'Forrest Gump' is an understatement, so when I heard that we were getting one of the restaurants I was over excited and a few days before I went to the restaurant I actually re-watched the film, which I have saved on my Sky Plus box.

So the day finally came for me to make my first visit. Upon entry you come to the gift shop selling all things 'Forrest Gump' related which is exciting in itself. To get to the restaurant and bar you have to go up a staircase which is wooden and decorated with all things from the film or from the south during the time period in which the film was set. My favorite thing in the restaurant was a sign going up the stairs saying "I don't skinny dip, I chunky dunk" which sounds a bit like someone I know haha. 
When we sat at our table the film had just started (on mute) and we had a good view of the TV. We all ordered our various foods and I went for 'Best Popcon Shrimp' as a starter then 'Shrimper's Heaven' for my main along with a Blue 'Lemon-up' which came in a plastic light up glass, that you get to take home. (All I wanted was the glass, I didn't even care what was in it!).
When the food was served it was pretty nice but not the best thing I've ever tasted. The popcorn shrimp was nice, as it came mixed  with red peppers battered in the same way as the shrimp, and a remoulade sauce which I loooved. I also got to taste one of my cousins 'Seafood Hush Pups' which was delicious. My favourite item of the main course  were the fries and 'Dumb Luck Coconut Shrimp' where you could actually taste the coconut.The 'Lemon - Up' drink was very sweet and so frozen I had to use my knife to mix it up, but hey I got my glass. I think the only thing that spoiled the experience for me, was the fact that I ordered so many different types of battered shrimp that it all tasted the same after a while.
 
At the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, they have a card system on the table where you flip the card saying "Run Forrest Run" for when you are happy, and for when you need assistance flip it to"Stop Forrest Stop". However during our meal numerous members of staff came over and asked us random questions despite us not indicating that we needed them, which was funny but also slightly annoying. I did love it when a member of staff came over to do some 'Forrest Gump Trivia' (from cards available in the market/gift shop downstairs) though, and we got most of our answers right thanks to me.

Overall, I will definitely go back to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. but, I don't think I will be ordering anything battered.
The London restaurant hasn't been added to the main company website but you can check out the menu via the Orlando, FL site (as Orlando is a place close to my heart). The prices are obviously in US Dollars but the menu is pretty much the same, so you can have a look at what they have on offer.

From Micky With Love.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment