Sunday 16 March 2014

4 Real Tho: Pharrell's 'Happy' Muse Sounds Like Marvin Gaye...Again

The first time I heard 5 seconds or less of 'Blurred Lines' I said it was nothing but a souless rehash of Marvin Gaye's stone cold classic 'Got To Give It Up' and as the lawsuits have proven so far, I was right!

Fast forward again to 2014 and 'Happy' has been another success, but due to my lack of keeping up with the majority of current 'music' releases, the first time I heard this song was a couple of weeks ago when I caught a glimpse of the video on TV. 

Only a few seconds in and my ears decided it sounded like a Motown record. More specifically, an early Marvin Gaye record.

While trying to pinpoint which, I somewhat settled that it was 'Wonderful One';


But while watching 'Motown At The BBC' last night on BBC 4, the real answer that's been eluding me, 'Ain't That Peculiar', was featured; 


I'll be the first person to admit that Pharrell is hand's down one of the best Producer's of the last 20 years because, his ability to fluidly create across R&B, Rock, Hip Hop and Pop puts him in the school of Sly Stone, Rick James & Prince easily, but in the words of Micky, "is somebody gonna have to call Nona and 'em again?" 

Ha, he better hope not!

No comments:

Post a Comment