Tuesday 23 September 2014

Concert Review: Lauryn Hill At Brixton Academy

As much as we love L Boogie myself and Micky decided to give this concert a pass, as we have been privy to her concert reviews over the last few years and didn't want to take the risk of being disappointed.

Below however, is a review from one of Shay's sister's who decided to attend over the weekend and unfortunately it coincide's with the majority of reviews already out there:

"Ms Lauryn Hill..

Where do I start? Flabbergasted! And I don't mean that in a good way unfortunately. 
*Pause* I am still very much in shock!

When you think of the Ms. Lauryn Hill you automatically think of the Beautiful Songstress from 'Sister Act', The Fugees, and THE album 'The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill', right?! And some of you may even know of the 'MTV Unplugged' albumWell there was none of that unless you're talking Rap. To
 be honest Ms. Hill is dope at whatever she does and her voice is so unique that she can own a mic easily with no doubt! But I did NOT come to see a Rap concert. 

I realised after the first 4 songs it wasn't going to get much better and instead, it got worse and then very embarrassing. It was extremely painful to see my idol up there with people slating her. This was not the LAURYN I knew and loved listening to growing up. 

I heard the intro of "Zion" and thought "Yessss" but that was all short lived. The band was shit and the song 'Twas nothing more than a very loud, jumped up sh*t remix! Lauryn Hill is NOT a pop artist neither does she have to pretend to be. I was so upset and disappointed. Heartbreaking ish!

Not once did I see her smile or look like she was even enjoying her performance. She was almost robot like. (Not sure if this was enhanced by some sort of drug but this was definitely not what I expected!) Instead, it was just one song, - sorry 'remix of her classics' - after the other with little interaction with the crowd.

I'm not saying she didn't slay when she sung, but it was a little too late by then so, I left early. Something I have never done at a concert! 

Upon looking on social media sites and reading hear say from a few people, I heard she may have allegedly lost the rights to her songs? If true, then 'tis a sad day in the world of music.

Regardless, Ms Hill is still, and will remain one of my favourite female artists although, I will just have to reminisce by listening to 'The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill' album."

And there you have it folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment