Saturday 6 September 2014

Food: Recipe For Love...I Mean Churros

After many a free drink from my 'Summer Celebration' event at work last night, and ignoring the fact that I'm trying to eat healthier, I have woken up craving either ribs OR these babies - Churros, something Mrs Married to Sugar (K) and I have been slightly in love with since we first tasted them a few years back. These Mexican style doughnuts are pure light, fluffy, melt -in-your mouth gorgeousness. They taste delicious sprinkled in sugar, or cinnamon sugar as I prefer, and dipped in a hot chocolate sauce (usually dark, but I prefer a mixture or just milk chocolate). Here's one of the most simple recipes I found ages ago at toastybiscuit.com and am still yet to make:

Churros with Chocolate Dipping Sauce
2 Cups plain flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
500ml of boiling water
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
Vegetable oil, to fry
Deep, heavy based saucepan
Piping bag, with a star tip
Cinnamon sugar, to dust (just combine caster sugar with ground cinnamon)
 150g Milk chocolate, chopped
100g Dark chocolate, chopped
300ml of cream


For the sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients in a double boiler and mix until melted and smooth (alternatively, you can pop it in the microwave and blitz it in short bursts of 20-30 seconds, mixing thoroughly at each interval. Repeat until all is melted and smooth).


For the doughnuts, it’s easy as 1, 2, 3:
1. Fill a deep, heavy based saucepan with vegetable oil. Place on medium-high heat and allow to heat. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, water and oil. Mix with a fork and make sure there are no lumps.
2. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a star tip. When the oil has reached 170 degrees, pipe 12cm lengths into the oil, using scissors to snip them from the bag. Be careful not to splash the hot oil.
3. Fry until golden brown and dust in cinnamon sugar.
Serve warm with the sauce. That’s it :)


Someone with a star tipped piping bag and cooking thermometer, please make these and tell me how they were. On second thoughts, If you're not making any for me, don't rub my face in it. Enjoy though.


From Micky with Love
x

No comments:

Post a Comment